Start location: crossroads, Oxton (NT 497 535)
End location: unclassified road between Threepwood and Wooplaw (NT 509 422)
Geographical area: Lothian and Borders
Path Type: Medieval Road
Path distance: 13.7km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians
Back to Search
From the crossroads in Oxton, head southwest uphill by road to continue by a track west of Overhowden to a point (NT477507) west of Collie Law; it is then necessary to go left uphill alongside a field dyke to the plantation on the ridge at NT485501. The line of the old road is to be found on the west side of this plantation, and the ridge is followed south to Inchkeith Hill. Watch the direction here after passing the farm buildings. The dyke along the ridge is the line until in sight of the Stow to Lauder road, at which point strike left to reach this road near its highest point. Then go left along the road until a cart track is seen on the right going south towards the east end of a wood. The Girthgate then follows field boundaries all the way to the public road (NT509422) near the road junction (NT507421) southwest of Threepwood. Please note that recent OS mapping erroneously shows the Girthgate as descending from NT504435 via Threepwood to the public road; as of December 2019 the OS are in the process of correcting their mapping; it is anticipated that their online maps will be updated by April 2020.
For a continuation to Melrose, in preference to following the road down the Allan Water, go east for 2.5km along a minor road to join the Southern Upland Way at Bluecairn.
North of Oxton, the Girthgate can be followed from Kirktonhill along the line of Dere Street to Soutra Aisle.
OS Landranger 73 (Peebles, Galashiels & Selkirk)
This route is shown on Armstrong's 1773 map of the Lothians as starting from Soutra Aisle and going south to Threeburnford (via a now impracticable valley crossing), and then by Collie Law as outlined in our path description. It is named on that map and on the old OS 6" map as the 'Girthgate', ie sanctuary road, from some tradition that connected Soutra Hospice and Melrose Abbey (founded in 1164 and 1136 respectively). As Malcolm IV is said to have founded the hospital for lodging travellers, this indicates that the route was already in existence. Indeed north of Oxton to Soutra Aisle, the medieval Girthgate and the Roman Dere Street followed a similar line. However south of Oxton, Dere Street is thought to have kept more to the east in the Leader valley, unlike the ridge route of the medieval road.
The Girthgate has also been identified as the 'via regia' or royal road referred to in a Melrose Charter of 1180. South of the Stow to Lauder road, the Girthgate formed the county boundary for a mile.
Newsflash (October 2017): Channel 4's programme Britain's Ancient Tracks includes an episode where Tony Robinson follows Dere Street, discovering Roman history, but also how the road was used after they left, i.e. the story of this Via Regia.