Knapdale Drove Road
Start location: Kilmichael of Inverlussa Church (NR 774 858)
End location: B841 at Daill (NR 826 907)
Geographical area: Argyll and Bute
Path Type: Drove Road
Path distance: 7.5km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians
Back to Search
By track northeast from Kilmichael of Inverlussa church via Barnagad, by west side of Loch an Add and Daill Loch to road at Daill.
OS Landranger 55 (Lochgilphead and surrounding area)
This right of way is the old highway from Daill to Kilmichael of Inverlussa. It can be seen marked on Arrowsmith's map of 1807. However, by the time of the OS first edition 6" mapping (1843-82), it is the current and lower level route to Lochgilphead via Baranloisgan which has been improved and marked with milestones. However, this old road over the hill is still clearly shown on that OS first edition 6" map and later mapping. Reportedly, the county roadman was responsible for its care and it did not cease to be a county road until the mid-twentieth century, although the exact date is unclear.
This old road also has the reputation of having been a droving route, which is unsuprising if another road was taking the majority of the traffic, particularly if that new road was turnpiked or tolled. Although the hotel at Cairnbaan was built in 1801 to coincide with the opening of the Crinan Canal, it is also said that it used to be a drovers' inn.
These days, the Scottish Churches Trust's Pilgrim Journeys website suggests this old drove road for use as a by foot section of its pilgrim journey from Tarbert to Lochgilphead and Crinan.