Revitalising Scotland's Historic Paths for the Future
Contact Details
Home
Project
The Paths
Campsie Fells
Learning Resources
Support Us
Contact
Links

A ScotWays helper with one of the oldest recreational signs in the world, now lost.  Taken by an unknown photographer. Heritage Paths Project
ScotWays
Scottish Rights of Way and Access Society
24 Annandale Street
Edinburgh
EH7 4AN
T: 0131 558 7123
F: 0131 558 1222

email
facebook
twitter
flickr
Join Us
Donate

 

Keyword Search
 


SEARCH BY MAP

Go

ADVANCED SEARCH

Go

 

Path of the Month
Minchmoor Track
Minchmoor Track

Site Design & Hosting by
Digital Routes

© Heritage Paths

 

 

 

Old Blair Military Road

Start location: B8079, Woodend (NN 847 659)
End location: B8079, Ballentoul (NN 884 650)
Geographical area: Perth, Kinross and Stirling (part)
Path Type: Military Road
Path distance: 4.8km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians

Back to Search

Route Description

This old road seems to have been very accessible in the 1970s, but unfortunately we have no survey more recent.

The Wade Road leaves the B8079 just west of Kingisland, turning more northerly and passing Kilmaveonaig before turning again to head straight for the Old Bridge of Tilt.  West of the bridge it follows an unclassified road for a bit before forking left along an estate road to pass St Bride's Church and then turn more southerly after Diana's Grove before going through a plantation and joining the B8079 before Woodend.  Any recent surveys would be very welcome.

OS Landranger 43 (Braemar & Blair Atholl)

Heritage Information

This is a small section of the military road built between 1728 and 1730 under the orders of General Wade to link Dunkeld and Inverness. 102 miles long, this road was seen as critically important as there was a good quality road to Inver, near Dunkeld, but little going north from there.  This road then would have become an artery for soldiers patrolling the highlands. Further sections of this lengthy Military Road which are described on this website are the stretch south-west of Ruthven Barracks, that via the Slochd and the Old Edinburgh Road from Moy to Inverness.

Both Kilmaveonaig and St Bride's Church, which the road passes, were built in the 16th century although Kilmaveonaig was rebuilt in 1794.  It is interesting to think that towards the end of the 18th century travellers would have passed quite an old church and a very new one as they both look very old now.

The lower part of the bridge of the Banvie Burn is thought to be part of the military road.

It's also interesting that the road is very straight east of the Old Bridge of Tilt and more winding afterwards.  This seems to back up the argument that Wade often used already existing estate roads as a starting point.  There is an irony here as quite often it is only the continued use by estates that has kept the roads in good condition.

 

 



Copyright: Rob Burke

 

 

Click here to view this path on a map

 

Image Gallery

 

[print]

Scotways logo

Scottish Natural Heritage

Heritage Lottery Fund

ScotGov logo

Leader logo

Europe logo