Start location: Dalnacardoch Lodge, on A9 (NN 723 703)
End location: 1km south of Bhran (NN 764 903)
Geographical area: Perth, Kinross and Stirling (part), Cairngorms National Park
Path Type: Rural Path
Path distance: 23km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians, Suitable for Bikes, Suitable for horses
Back to Search
Dalnacardoch is 11km north-west of Calvine on the A9 road. Be careful if crossing the very busy dual carriageway at the start of this right of way. A private road goes N from the roadside through a plantation past a radio mast and continues N beside the Edendon Water for 8km to Sronphadruig Lodge. 0.5km beyond the lodge leave the track to cross the Edendon Water and follow a good path N along the west side of Loch an Duin across the foot of the very steep slopes of An Dun, which plunge for 300m from its summit into the loch.
At the north end of the loch cross the Allt Loch an Duin, usually easy at some sandy banks, and go NE for a short distance to reach the start of a track. This track, known as Domingo’s Road, continues down the east side of the glen past Loch Bhrodainn to the Allt Gharbh Ghaig, which may be difficult to cross in wet weather. Continue past Gaick Lodge and Loch an t-Seilich to join the route from the Minigaig at the bridge across the Allt Bhran. The final part of this route down Glen Tromie to Ruthven Barracks or Tromie Bridge could go by any one of the three possibilities described for the Minigaig; click the link above.
The route through the Gaick Pass is promoted by Visit Scotland as a Mountain Bike Trail.
OS Landranger 42 & 35
The route can be clearly seen on the first edition OS Six Inch to the Mile map. Sronphadruig Lodge is marked as Edendon Lodge with a sundial in its grounds.
Gaick Lodge must be one of the most remote houses in Scotland - often inaccessible in winter due to snow and the serious risk of avalanche, which reportedly nearly destroyed the Lodge itself in 1911. Near the Lodge is a memorial to a hunting party of five who perished when an avalanche consumed their bothy - the eighteenth century Gaick Lodge - in January 1800.