Revitalising Scotland's Historic Paths for the Future
Contact Details
Home
Project
The Paths
Campsie Fells
Learning Resources
Support Us
Contact
Links

A Wade bridge on a section of Wade Road in Badenoch. Heritage Paths Project
ScotWays
Scottish Rights of Way and Access Society
24 Annandale Street
Edinburgh
EH7 4AN
T: 0131 558 7123
F: 0131 558 1222

email
facebook
twitter
flickr
Join Us
Donate

 

Keyword Search
 


SEARCH BY MAP

Go

ADVANCED SEARCH

Go

 

Path of the Month
Minchmoor Track
Minchmoor Track

Site Design & Hosting by
Digital Routes

© Heritage Paths

 

 

 

Old track to Ardmore

Start location: A838 approx 1km west of Rhichonich (NC 247 518)
End location: Ardmore (NC 208 512)
Geographical area: Sutherland
Path Type: Rural Path
Path distance: 5km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians

Back to Search

Route Description

The road from the A838 as far as Portlevorchy is now a public road. There is parking for four or five cars in a small roadside quarry at NC 225 516, about 200 metres east of the turning circle at the road end and the fork to Portlevorchy.   After a gate (NC 209 515) and crossing (over stone steps) a few yards of likely wet-in-winter ground, the third climb is up what is known as "The Waterfall", almost a scramble in places. The track otherwise is well made with gravel and sand where necessary. There is a well made pedestrian bridge at NC 215 516.

On gaining the high ground west of the "Waterfall" at the first cottage the path runs immediately in front (NC 208 511) and above the fenced vegetable garden (this is the only puzzling spot on the route), then follows along the hillside passing other cottages. The track then descends to the "activity centre" at the loch.

 OS Landranger 9 (Cape Wrath)

Heritage Information

A number of people lived along this route at least into the 19th century as two townships were mapped by Ordnance Survey in 1878.  This path would have been the main access for these communities to the main road south through Laxford Bridge.

Interestingly it has been speculated that the place name of 'An Annait' a little south of Ardmore may relate to a ninth or tenth century church site.  There is no trace of this but if it were the case then people must have travelled along this path to attend church a very long time ago.  Although it is on the coast boats could not have been relied on due to weather and tidal restrictions.

 

 



 

 

Click here to view this path on a map

 

Image Gallery

Copyright: Roger McLachlan Copyright: Roger McLachlan

 

[print]

Scotways logo

Scottish Natural Heritage

Heritage Lottery Fund

ScotGov logo

Leader logo

Europe logo