Fala Moor Road
Start location: Fala on A68 (NT 437 608)
End location: Brothershiels (NT 420 559)
Geographical area: Lothian and Borders
Path Type: Civil Road
Path distance: 6.5km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians, Suitable for Bikes, Suitable for horses
Back to Search
Newsflash: in August 2017 the Midlothian Walking Festival features a stretch of this old route in one of its longer walks. The festival (11-14 August) also promotes the historic Howden Glen path, using parts of it for two of its circular walks.
The north end commences on the A68 as the narrow tarred road accessing the cemetery at Fala, signed "Access to cemetery only". After the gate to the cemetery, signed: "Footpath to A7 5 1/4 miles, follow green squares", the track is metalled.
For the first 1km the track is within a plantation strip used for rearing pheasants. On approaching the double line of electricity pylons there is a wooden vehicle gate with adjacent pedestrian gate, signed "Special Protection Area" by Fala Estate Trust and SNH. (Peatland habitat). The track continues beside a conifer plantation, to a car parking area after the trees at a junction of tracks, and another waymarker square. Thereafter it is an obvious metalled track with Fala Flow Loch to the east and the ruins of Fala Luggie Tower to the west.
At NT425573 there is a track junction; it is straight ahead to Upper Brotherstone, but instead turn right for Brothershiels, with another sign "Footpath to the A68 3 1/4 miles" and a green square at the next gate. The rest of the route is a farm vehicle track to Brothershiels Farm and the boundary between East Lothian and the Borders.
The route has now been waymarked.
We're infomed that this old road was part of the road network until the mid 20th century. It is said to have been maintained by a local roadsman before that time. It doesn't appear prominently on particularly old maps but it does seem to follow the eastern boundary of Fala Parish, which tends to be a trait of medieval parish roads.
The remains of the Fala Luggie tower house are located along this route - local tradition maintained that this was the site of a hunting lodge of a King of Scotland. Fala Luggie seems to be the feature often marked as 'Old Camp' in old maps like Thomson's of 1820.
Near Brothershiels Farm there is a small memorial to a pilot who was killed near here on 7th August 1945.