Start location: B712, by Dawyck Mill, south of Stobo Castle (NT 175 364)
End location: Craigierig, Megget Reservoir, west of St Mary's Loch (NT 207 236)
Geographical area: Lothian and Borders
Path distance: 16km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians
Back to Search
Cross the River Tweed by the bridge to Dawyck Mill and go southeast over the hill by the Dead Wife's Grave. From here follow the Thief's Road south to Long Grain Knowe thence south by the west side of Dollar Law. Head over the county boundary near Fifescar Knowe to Notman Law, Shielhope Head and down to Craigierig (Megget Dam carpark at NT210233) and St Mary's Loch. This is a very fine ridge walk over the 600m level.
OS Landranger 72 (Upper Clyde Valley) & 73 (Peebles, Galashiels & Selkirk)
The Dead Wife's Grave is marked on the OS second edition 6" map, but the OS Name Book of 1856 states there are no remains of any structure. It lies where the old road passes through the parish boundary dyke. Tradition dating back to at least 1775 links the death of the woman with the 1645 Battle of Philiphaugh.