Lossiemouth to Elgin Railway Line
Start location: Lossiemouth (NJ 236 700)
End location: Maryfield (NJ 231 646)
Geographical area: Moray
Path Type: Railway Track
Path distance: 5.5km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians
Back to Search
The start of the route is at a small square in Lossiemouth with the old Mercat Cross from where a tarred path leads south past houses and out of the town where the path becomes a gravel surface. This continues to the B9103 where a steep ramp and steps lead up onto the public road. The latter feature may restrict this section's accessibility.
On the south side of the B9103 there is a modern gate with a pedestrian access, and this is followed by another gate, blocked by large rocks with a small access gap at the side. After this the track continues on a good surface until the next gate at the Easter Greens access road, where there is a gate with rocks blocking access to the North section back to B9103. This section appears to be accessible to walkers and possibly cyclists only. From Easter Greens to Maryfield the track is level, wide with a good surface and could be used by all abilities. It is also probably the most interesting section with Loch Spynie, Spynie Canal and the Palace of Spynie all adjacent to the route and reasonably visible.
Although the old rail line continues south as a farm track, it soon runs into a very wet area which has been used as a silage pit. Our surveyor described this part as not easy or safe, so it is not recommended. Instead, from Maryfield follow the minor public road to Elgin. However, for the curious we've included some pictures of the continuation of the route.
OS Landranger 28 (Elgin, Dufftown & surrounding area)
This is the former Morayshire Railway between Elgin and the fishing port of Lossiemouth. First surveyed in 1841, the line eventually opened on 10th August 1852. There were originally stops at Greens of Drainie and at the level-crossing at Linksfield, but these were closed in 1859. Journeys took 15 minutes and were busy both with passengers and with fish and other goods from the port. The Morayshire Railway amalgamated with the Great North of Scotland Railway in 1881. The line was closed to passengers in 1964 and to freight in 1966.