Revitalising Scotland's Historic Paths for the Future
Contact Details
The Paths
Campsie Fells
Learning Resources
Support Us

A ScotWays helper with one of the oldest recreational signs in the world, now lost.  Taken by an unknown photographer. Heritage Paths Project
Scottish Rights of Way and Access Society
24 Annandale Street
T: 0131 558 7123
F: 0131 558 1222

Join Us


Keyword Search






Path of the Month
The Steplar
The Steplar

Site Design & Hosting by
Digital Routes

© Heritage Paths




Old Doune Road

Start location: junction of Springfield Terrace and Old Doune Road, Dunblane (NN 779 011)
End location: Hill House, A820 (NN 746 010)
Geographical area: Stirling, Clackmannan and Falkirk
Path Type: Rural Path
Path distance: 3.5km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians

Back to Search

Route Description

The route begins at Springfield Terrace following the residential street still called Old Doune Road out of Dunblane and crosses the Dunblane Bypass (A9) by the footbridge. The made-up road is followed to Greenyards Farrn, where it becomes a rutted track. There are no gates obstructing access between Greenyards and Glenhead, where, however, the original route past the cottage is occupied by garden space and barred by a closed gate and this blocks the track. There is a further gate closed across the route, but no alternative openings or stiles are in existence to allow the cottage to be by-passed. A new gate and fence have been installed beyond here, where there is the remains of a stile. Another gate has to be crossed to reach the A820. Beyond this house, however, the route is very overgrown.

Landranger 57 (Stirling & The Trossachs area)

Heritage Information

This was once the main route into Dunblane and, as such, would have seen a lot of traffic. The hedges either side of the road denote its former width. It's very interesting to look at the old road on a map and see just how directly it went into the centre of Dunblane. These days this old route remains useful. As well as being a right of way, it is part of Stirling Council's core paths network and part of it is used by the National Cycle Network's route 765

There is a bridge on the path replacing Murdoch’s Ford where King Robert II’s grandson, Murdoch Stewart, Duke of Albany, was captured by English forces in 1402.

Even though the old road joins the new one at Hill House, it does not seem to have continued on the same line as the remnants of old culverts were found on the field boundary to the west of where the old road now ends. This field boundary line can be followed as far as the sharp bend on the B824, beyond which the old road is lost although it is said to be sometimes visible as a stone scatter after ploughing. Ultimately it reached Doune by crossing the Ardoch Burn by a ford where the Old Ardoch Bridge stands today.




Click here to view this path on a map


Image Gallery

Copyright: Richard Webb Copyright: Keith Salvesen Copyright: Richard Barron



Scotways logo

Scottish Natural Heritage

Heritage Lottery Fund

ScotGov logo

Leader logo

Europe logo