Revitalising Scotland's Historic Paths for the Future
Contact Details
Home
Project
The Paths
Campsie Fells
Learning Resources
Support Us
Contact
Links

A Wade bridge on a section of Wade Road in Badenoch. Heritage Paths Project
ScotWays
Scottish Rights of Way and Access Society
24 Annandale Street
Edinburgh
EH7 4AN
T: 0131 558 7123
F: 0131 558 1222

email
facebook
twitter
flickr
Join Us
Donate

 

Keyword Search
 


SEARCH BY MAP

Go

ADVANCED SEARCH

Go

 

Path of the Month
Minchmoor Track
Minchmoor Track

Site Design & Hosting by
Digital Routes

© Heritage Paths

 

 

 

Buchlyvie to Arnprior Railway Track

Start location: B835, NW of Buchlyvie (NS 564 941)
End location: B8034, NW of Arnprior (NS 603 961)
Geographical area:
Path Type: Railway Track
Path distance: 4.5km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians

Back to Search

Route Description

From the B835, about 1km north-west of Buchlyvie, the route of this former railway line can be followed to the north-east. Gartentruach is easily skirted on its north side, the route continuing across the Mye Burn to ultimately reach the B8034 from Arnprior.

The Mye Burn is no longer bridged which presents a significant obstacle at the time of writing. In the meantime, it's a nice walk out and back from Buchlyvie.

OS Landranger 57 (Stirling & The Trossachs area) or OS Explorer 365 (The Trossachs)

Heritage Information

This is a short section of the former Forth & Clyde Junction Railway, running between the sites of the former Buchlyvie and Port of Menteith stations. The Forth & Clyde Junction Railway opened in 1856 and ran from Stirling to Balloch.

Although the Forth & Clyde Junction Railway closed to passengers in 1934, Buchlyvie Station continued to be used by trains to Aberfoyle until 1951 as the trackbed was shared by the Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway between Gartness and Buchlyvie junctions. Buchlyvie junction lay shortly east of the station at NS568944, and here the spur once ran north-west to Aberfoyle. Further information about the route to Aberfoyle can be found here: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=246. Both Buchlyvie and Port of Menteith stations are still standing, and are now homes.
Mye Siding lay north of Gartentruach on the north side of the line. It remained in use for a number of years, as although the section from Buchlyvie Station to the siding was closed to freight in 1950, the section from the siding to Stirling wasn't closed to freight until 1959. [with thanks to www.railbrit.co.uk]

The following story about the railway has been shared with us, it probably dates from the 1950s:
"There were little cottages along the line that were inhabited and their only source of water was via the railway. So, even after the line was closed, a tank engine and bowser would trot along the line from Stirling to replenish supplies. One day... such a train passed by when they were working in the field adjacent and they stopped to watch it pass as you do, with a cheery wave from the driver and fireman. Only at the last minute did they realise that the bold boys hadn't registered the closed gates on the road down to Blackhouse and they duly hit it at full chat, with the gates going up into matchwood. The train eventually stopped and the crew came up to speak to them and suggest that if railway inspector came to interview them, they might helpfully indicate that there was a thick fog at the time."

 

 



 

 

 

Image Gallery

Copyright: Richard Webb Copyright: Ben Brooksbank Copyright: Eddie Mackinnon

 

[print]

Scotways logo

Scottish Natural Heritage

Heritage Lottery Fund

ScotGov logo

Leader logo

Europe logo