Revitalising Scotland's Historic Paths for the Future
Contact Details
Home
Project
The Paths
Campsie Fells
Learning Resources
Support Us
Contact
Links

Dere Street near Crailinghall.  Taken by Richard Warren. Heritage Paths Project
ScotWays
Scottish Rights of Way and Access Society
24 Annandale Street
Edinburgh
EH7 4AN
T: 0131 558 7123
F: 0131 558 1222

email
facebook
twitter
flickr
Join Us
Donate

 

Keyword Search
 


SEARCH BY MAP

Go

ADVANCED SEARCH

Go

 

Path of the Month
General Wade's Military Road, Crieff to Aberfeldy
General Wade's Military Road, Crieff to Aberfeldy

Site Design & Hosting by
Digital Routes

© Heritage Paths

 

 

 

Inverie to Glen Dessary Path

Start location: Inverie River (NM 797 991)
End location: Strathan (Loch Arkaig) (NM 987 916)
Geographical area: Lochaber
Path Type: Rural Path
Path distance: 27km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians

Back to Search

Route Description

Start from the end of the public road* near Strathan. Go up the private road on the north side of Glen Dessary past Glendessary Lodge and Upper Glendessary. About 2km west of Upper Glendessarry, take the path above the forest to cross the Allt Coire nan Uth (in spate use the bridge downstream, which is out of the sight of the path) and continue to the top of the pass, the Bealach an Lagain Duibh (310m), about 8km from Strathan. Continue west along a very rough path through the narrow defile of the Mam na Cloich Airde, then by a better path down to Sourlies bothy (MBA) at the head of Loch Nevis. Then go along the flat sandy shore at low tide, or over the headland at high tide, to reach the grassy flats at the outflow of the River Carnach, and cross the river by a suspension bridge near the ruins of Carnoch village. From Carnoch, climb steeply northwest on a good path to a high pass, the Mam Meadail (550m), then down Gleann Meadail to cross the Inverie River and join the Old Road to Kinloch Hourn, turning west along which leads down to Inverie.

*Newsflash: 2km of the public road along Loch Arkaig in the vicinity of Achnasaul will be closed each night (6pm-6am) from 3rd to 28th August 2015. More information is available here.

OS Landranger 33

Heritage Information

This old track appears in a number of old maps like the 1st edition of OS 6 inch to the mile maps from the mid 19th century and the section from Loch Nevis to Loch Arkaig is depicted as a double lined road in John Thomson's Atlas of Scotland (1832). The path descending to the head of Loch Nevis was well constructed and at one place was even paved. It is probable that it was built at the time of the herring boom on the north-west coast when Loch Nevis was an important fishing ground, and the path was used by ponies carrying barrels of herring to the markets further south. The northern section of this route may have been used less and so may have not been in a good enough condition for Thomson to have included in his atlas.

 

 



 

 

Click here to view this path on a map

 

Image Gallery

Copyright: ronnie leask

 

[print]

Scotways logo

Scottish Natural Heritage

Heritage Lottery Fund

ScotGov logo

Leader logo

Europe logo