Murrayshall II Lime Works Tramway
Start location: Touch Road, Cambusbarron (NS 763 928)
End location: Hollandbush, Cambusbarron (NS 771 930)
Geographical area: Campsie Fells, Stirling, Clackmannan and Falkirk
Path Type: Industrial Path
Path distance: 0.9km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians
Back to Search
Newsflash! The Heritage Paths (Campsie Fells) Project is very pleased to announce that we have a lovely new Campsies map leaflet showing this old route and other paths in the area. To get your hands on one, simply send us an SAE c/o ScotWays (see address top-right) and we'll post one out to you.
On aerial photographs, the route of the former tramway can clearly be seen as a cropmark heading south from the dismantled Forth & Clyde Junction Railway, crossing the A811 and continuing as a field boundary towards a wooded area. However, the route we suggest below runs from the Touch Road along a right of way (and core path) which meets the route of the former tramway in the woods then follows it to Hollandbush.
At NS 763 928 the right of way leaves the Touch Road immediately west of a fenceline which meets the road. It follows the fenceline to the field corner, where it crosses the fence on to a roughly defined track which it follows along the northern boundary of Kipmad Wood to another fence and stile. The route goes into the woodland and passes immediately under a fallen tree. It then continues through the woodland until it reached the old limekilns where it follows an old track. It then follows this to Kersebonny Road, just north of Hollandbush.
OS Landranger 57 (Stirling & The Trossachs)
The Ordnance Survey first show the tramway on their second edition 1" mapping, surveyed in 1895. The tramway ran from sidings by the Forth & Clyde Junction Railway towards Cambusbarron, serving both the Murrayshall II Lime Works and Hayford Mills. By 1917-18, the lime works were disused, but it is not clear exactly when the tramway went out of use. By 1942, it is marked as Dismantled Railway on a 1:2500 map.
Plans showing the layout of the the limekilns and tramway can be seen, along with some photographs, on the ScotlandsPlaces website.
The Murrayshall II Lime Works (also known as the Hollandbush or Cambusbarron Limeworks) are thought to have been in operation from around 1850 until 1909. They were linked to a network of mineworkings under Gillies Hill - the extent of these (1890-1910) is shown in this excellent Cambusbarron Community Council leaflet: http://cambusbarron.com/communitycouncil/docs/Gillies%20-%20History%20leaflet_web.pdf.
The extraction and manufacture of lime is an important part of the history of industry in the vicinity of Cambusbarron and Gillies Hill. The mining of lime is thought to have taken place in the area since the late 1700s. The very name Murrayshall II implies a preceding set of limeworkings; the Murrayshall Lime Kilns (thought to date from the early nineteenth century) lie on the south side of Gillies Hill near the Wallstale Road at NS 773 908. Even earlier are the limeworkings at Craigend.