Addinston Hill Ridge Route
Start location: northeast of Tollishill (NT 520 581)
End location: A697, Addinston road end (NT 517 526)
Geographical area: Lothian and Borders
Path Type: Medieval Road, Trade Route, Drove Road
Path distance: 7.5km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians
Back to Search
Newsflash (August 2016): ScotWays has completed the first stage of its Lammermuirs project with the publication of a new map of the Lammermuirs. Associated signposting work is ongoing, but although signage surveys have already being undertaken by ScotWays volunteers, additional feedback on routes in the Lammermuirs generally and on signage in particular continues to be very welcome.
Our surveyors walked this route from NT511530 (west of Addinston) to NT517570 (bridge over Kelphope Burn, Dodcleuch):
From the A697, west of Addinston, a signpost indicates The Hillfort. At the farm, turn north as indicated by the hillfort signage. At NT520534, a sign again indicates the clearly apparent impressive camp (well worth a visit), but the way lies ahead to the north with the wood on the left. Passing Packman Knowe, there are two gates to negotiate, but the way is obvious with the field boundary now on the right. The route passes Addinston Hill and jinks NW then NE to follow the high ground. After passing between the two summits of Hog Hill, the route drops then loses distinction in wet ground near the plantation south of the ruin of Dod House. From there, a way can be found across grassland to meet the track from Tollishill which heads north over Lammer Law. However, our surveyor instead descended via Dod Cleugh bypassing the house on its north side to reach the road which runs along the valley of the Kelphope Burn.
OS Landranger 73 (Peebles, Galashiels & surrounding area)
The Old Statistical Account (1791-99) for Lauder refers to the encampment at Tollis-hill on the road between Lauder and Haddington. Although today the Old Road from Lauder over Lammer Law is generally thought of as running from Longyester to Carfraemill, this older variant line from Tollishill can also be traced. Both variants are marked as roads on Greenwood, Fowler and Sharp's 1826 map of The County of Berwick, and although on Aaron Arrowsmith's 1807 map the line to Carfraemill is clear, this line over Addinston Hill can also be surmised. It's not clear which of the two alignments the OSA will have been referring to.
Merchants and cadgers alike will have used this old trade route linking Haddington and Lauder - Packman Knowe (NT521541) may be placename evidence of this use. Wool was carried north from Lauderdale and grain was brought south from East Lothian. It was also used as a local drove road.