Revitalising Scotland's Historic Paths for the Future
Contact Details
Home
Project
The Paths
Campsie Fells
Learning Resources
Support Us
Contact
Links

Alt tag for above image Heritage Paths Project
ScotWays
Scottish Rights of Way and Access Society
24 Annandale Street
Edinburgh
EH7 4AN
T: 0131 558 7123
F: 0131 558 1222

email
facebook
twitter
flickr
Join Us
Donate

 

Keyword Search
 


SEARCH BY MAP

Go

ADVANCED SEARCH

Go

 

Path of the Month
General Wade's Military Road, Crieff to Aberfeldy
General Wade's Military Road, Crieff to Aberfeldy

Site Design & Hosting by
Digital Routes

© Heritage Paths

 

 

 

Kirk Road, Clatt

Start location: roadend, Hillhead (NJ 518 265)
End location: Clatt Auld Kirk (NJ 538 259)
Geographical area: Grampian
Path Type: Rural Path
Path distance: 2.2km
Accessibility info:

Back to Search

Route Description

A sign at the roadend states Hillhead of Clatt and the track leads up to the farm. Past the farm, the Kirk Road appears to largely follow field boundaries east and southeast until c.NJ530263 where its line has been ploughed out for about 100m. Beyond this field, the old route continues generally southeast past Roadside cottages to reach Clatt Auld Kirk.

This old road now crosses an arable field, so it will not always be accessible. It's also likely that the environs of Hillhead of Clatt and Roadside cottages will need to be avoided in order not to impinge on the occupants' privacy. The Heritage Paths project would welcome more information about the accessibility of this route.

Heritage Information

This route is reportedly labelled Kirk Road on an 1797 estate plan of Leith Hall. On the first edition OS 1" map (1874) it is just as clearly marked as the present day road past Persylieu to the north, but on later maps it appears relatively less signinificant. Present day OS 1:50,000 maps only show the route in part.

The Auld Kirk in Kirktown of Clatt was reportedly rebuilt in 1799, although sharp eyes may spot a lintel dated 1778 and the belfry dates from 1640. It was repaired in 1886 and refurbished for community use in 2004. However, the site itself is likely to be far older, probably medieval.

Old maps show various interesting features along the Kirk Road - the sites of a causeway and tumuli - which may point to this being a very old route indeed. Placename evidence may come from the cottages at Roadside (NJ535261), which lie well away from the road network currently in use. Indeed Newbigging's farmbuildings were originally sited slightly further east and these were instead accessed from the old road just west of Roadside.  

 



 

 

Click here to view this path on a map

 

Image Gallery

Copyright: Stanley Howe Copyright: Stanley Howe

 

[print]

Scotways logo

Scottish Natural Heritage

Heritage Lottery Fund

ScotGov logo

Leader logo

Europe logo