Reedie Market Drove Road
Start location: B951, west of Viewfield (NO 373 537)
End location: sharp bend between Kirkton and Grange of Airlie (NO 315 512)
Geographical area: Angus and Tayside
Path Type: Drove Road
Path distance: 6km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians, Suitable for Bikes
Back to Search
This old drove road runs from just west of Kirriemuir along the high ground over Egno Moss to Airlie. Leaving the B951, the route is signposted onwards. The right of way is never in doubt, though sometimes grass, sometimes track. It crosses the public road near Herdhillmuir and continues on over Egno Moss, the mapped site of Reedie Market, before crossing a track running northwest from Kinalty. However, the line is maintained for another 1.5km before it drops down past Muirhoues towards Airlie.
This old drove road appears likely to be that running between Kirriemuir and Alyth shown on the map included with Haldane's The Drove Roads of Scotland. Its line appears on many old maps including possibly Aaron Arrowsmith's map of 1807 and certainly John Ainslie's 1794 Map of the County of Forfar or Shire of Angus.
Of particular note is the naming of Reedie Market (NO350528) on Knox's 1850 map. Contemporary local papers also confirm a mid-nineteenth century date for cattle markets or fairs held at a stance on Reedie Muir. The same clearing is shown in John Thomson's 1832 Atlas of Scotland and John Ainslie's aforementioned 1794 plan. However, Historic Environment Scotland's records classify this spot as the remains of a cairn, and although there is speculation that it was a court or law hill or possibly a (Roman?) beacon site, no mention is made of the market.
In the late 1990s, access to this old route was blocked by a locked gate. As a result, Angus Council investigated its right of way status. Forty witnesses provided relevant information which enabled recommendation that this route be asserted as a right of way. Both its popularity and historic value were also recognised as warranting protection. Following the passing of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003, the old drove road was included on the Council's Core Paths Plan. The Kirriemuir Path Network also part signposts the route.