Revitalising Scotland's Historic Paths for the Future
Contact Details
Home
Project
The Paths
Campsie Fells
Learning Resources
Support Us
Contact
Links

A person walking over a Wade bridge on the Corrieyairack Pass.  Taken by Peter Sanders. Heritage Paths Project
ScotWays
Scottish Rights of Way and Access Society
24 Annandale Street
Edinburgh
EH7 4AN
T: 0131 558 7123
F: 0131 558 1222

email
facebook
twitter
flickr
Join Us
Donate

 

Keyword Search
 


SEARCH BY MAP

Go

ADVANCED SEARCH

Go

 

Path of the Month
Minchmoor Track
Minchmoor Track

Site Design & Hosting by
Digital Routes

© Heritage Paths

 

 

 

Ruthven Military Road

Start location: B970, Ruthven (NN 762 995)
End location: Etteridge (NN 686 925)
Geographical area: Cairngorms National Park
Path Type: Military Road
Path distance: 11km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians

Back to Search

Route Description

Leave Kingussie by the B970 to Ruthven, turn right to Knappach, cross under the A9, but after 300m recross it (stile and gate) to a roadside parking place with a right of way sign. Follow the track south-west along the line of General Wade’s Military Road across the moor past Luibleathann bothy and Phones Lodge to Etteridge. Since the A9 was dualled crossing it near here has become an especially risky activity and can't be recommended; however Transport Scotland has stated its commitment to installing an underpass - construction is proposed to commence in 2017.

OS Landranger 35  (Kingussie & Monadhliath Mountains)

Heritage Information

This is a part of General Wade's Road from Dunkeld to Inverness built between 1728 and 1730 - 102 miles long in total. Further sections of this lengthy Military Road which are described on the Heritage Paths website are the stretch via Old Blair, that via the Slochd and the Old Edinburgh Road from Moy to Inverness

There is an original bridge on the way and quite a few cross drains.  Wade doesn't seem to have built culverts, so his original drainage systems were cross drains paved with flat stones.  Sadly these don't tend to survive; as they're difficult for wheeled vehicles to use, they often get filled in.

Ruthven Barracks was built in 1719, on a hill which was the site of the former stronghold of the Wolf of Badenoch. A guard house and stable were added in 1734. It was a major staging post of considerable strategic importance on the road to Inverness. 

There are also quite a few ruined townships on the way, which show that this road would once have passed many houses with many people living and working there - its remoteness is relatively recent.

 

 



 

 

Click here to view this path on a map

 

Image Gallery

 

[print]

Scotways logo

Scottish Natural Heritage

Heritage Lottery Fund

ScotGov logo

Leader logo

Europe logo