Old Glen Clova Road
Start location: unclassified road near Kinrive, Glen Moy (NO 391 627)
End location: B955, Gella, Glen Clova (NO 373 656)
Geographical area: Angus and Tayside
Path Type: Rural Path
Path distance: 4km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians
Back to Search
From the unclassified Glen Moy road, the route to Kinrive once followed the former farm access road over the bailey bridge. However motor traffic has since the 1990s been diverted via a new road to the north to avoid this old bridge, which has had signs indicating Danger since at least 2013. From the outskirts of Kinrive Farm, walk NNW on good track above South Esk, through woodland, leaving the latter about 0.25 mile south of Brocklas (where the cottage once boarded up has now been renovated); it was a Girl Guide site for many years. There are a great many grassy paths in the vicinity of the house, but the right of way heads NNE to a junction where the, now fairly degraded but easily followed, heathery track to Gella heads almost due north. It is important not to follow the clearer grassy track heading east. The right of way trends gently NNW along a clearly marked route which has obviously been heavily used in times past, but suffers now from poor drainage.
At Gella Farm, the route bends around the settlement on its east and north sides where a completely new estate track breaks off eastwards to Glen Cuilt and Glen Moy. The main, stony, farm track runs down to the B955 about 0.25 mile north of the picnic spot and parking area at Gella Brig.
OS Landranger 44 (Ballater & Glen Clova)
This is quite typical of old tracks as it stays higher than the modern road and so would have drained better. It appears in various old maps, linking Glen Clova with Glen Moy, such as John Thomson's 1825 map of Angusshire. On that map, no bridge is shown across the River South Esk. As we are informed that there was no reliable bridge at Gella until 1861, perhaps this explains both the reason for the route's use and its subsequent disuse.