Start location: A91, Carnbo (NO 054 031)
End location: Pathstruie Road, south of Stronachie (NO 070 078)
Geographical area: Perth, Kinross and Stirling (part)
Path Type: Rural Path, Medieval Road, Trade Route
Path distance: 6km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians
Back to Search
From the middle of the small cluster of houses at Carnbo, a tractor-track runs north, weaving its way between cropped and grazing fields. At an otherwise unremarkable point on this track, Grid Ref 053 036, the route follows field edges NNE and NNW to reach the Golland Bum at GR 050 042. Although this section of some 800m is virtually unmarked on the ground, the first edition of the 1:50000 map, 1976, does show it. At the Golland Burn, there is very clear evidence of a sunken 'cart road' down to and beyond the burn then up the side of the next field, joining a currently used rough tractor-track at GR 048 044. This track is followed downhill / east for some 400m to a T-junction at GR 052 044. A grassy but very clear depression runs NE along the line of a dyke and leads - conclusively - to a barrel brig at GR 053 047. The next 300m NE along the burnside have recently been interrupted by two new fences, having been clear for at least the past 25 years. At the next modern track, GR 054 050, the old line crosses over the track and ascends the gorse-covered slope beyond; the ruts of the old line can readily be followed and, after short initial zig-zags, the route steadies to a NE line along fences, rising steadily. Another modern track is met at GR 058 053, where the true line possibly switches from the S to the N side of the fence-line and continues steadily NE and rising. Approaching the corner of the forest at GR 063 057, faint lines lead over the short grazing turf to a forest gate circa GR 064 059. A faint path can be discerned running just inside the forest fence, still NE and rising. At GR 066 062, a rough grassy-earthy vehicular track is joined and this undulates onwards to join a more prominent stony forest road at GR 069 069. This leads gently downhill for some 800m to the public road at GR 070 078. At this point there are information boards relating to the Blackhill system of walks.
OS Landranger sheet 58 (Perth & Alloa, Auchterarder)
This strategic, trans-Ochils route is known locally as 'The Butter Road', having thought to have been the route over which monks carried butter from Culross to the royal court at Scone.
There is some debate as to whether this is true but the road is certainly called 'The Butter Road' on the first edition 6 inch to the mile maps, which was surveyed in 1854 and published in 1856. It is not clear what the Ordnance Survey's source was and they certainly weren't infallible but they must have had good provenance to name the path as such.