Start location: Waterman's Cottage, Overton Road, Greenock (NS 266 748)
End location: Greenock Cut Visitor Centre car park (NS 247 720)
Geographical area: Strathclyde and Lanarkshire
Path Type: Leisure Path
Path distance: 8km
Accessibility info: Suitable for Motorised wheelchairs, Suitable for pedestrians
Back to Search
The Greenock Cut is a former aqueduct with embankment serving as a walkway. It follows the contours of the hillside, mainly overlooking the town and the magnificent scenery of the Firth of Clyde and beyond to the Argyll hills and the "Arrochar Alps". It is best walked upstream to enjoy the scenery and can be combined with an adjoining path to form a circular walk of 11.5km. There are toilets, café & picnic facilities at the Greenock Cut Visitor Centre at Cornalees Bridge.
The surface is basically grass grown hardcore wide enough for two to walk abreast. Recently there has been cutting of gorse, rebuilding of revetments and laying of fine gravel to a width of 1m for most of its length. This work continues.
From the steep Overton Road car park a fine gravel ramp leads up to the aqueduct. The embankment eastwards can be followed here via a metal kissing gate.
At Cornalees Bridge over the unclassified road a gap in the wall has the usual fine gravel leading towards the aqueduct but a notice indicates the pathway is under construction and entry is via a gate 15m southwards. Here a pedestrian tubular metal gate warns of restoration work in progress. From here flag steps lead down the embankment and it is obvious a former bridge linking to the other side of the rather wider than otherwise aqueduct is now missing. No indication as to whether it will be replaced.
There has been a lot of work done on the Greenock Cut recently. It is reportedly now accessible to wheelchairs - mobility scooters are available to hire free from the visitor centre, if booked ahead.
OS Landranger 63 (Firth of Clyde area)
The Greenock Cut is an aqueduct built between 1825 and 1827 to supply water from Loch Thom to the mills of Greenock. It was built by Robert Thom, after whom the Loch was named and is a very early example of its type.
There were a lot of sluices and bridges along its length, which have gradually fallen into disrepair. As there was a lot of money spent on the path alongside the aqueduct it would be interesting to know if any money was spent on the historic features of the aqueduct.
The Cut was superseded by a tunnel in 1971 and is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.