Revitalising Scotland's Historic Paths for the Future
Contact Details
The Paths
Campsie Fells
Learning Resources
Support Us

A ScotWays helper with one of the oldest recreational signs in the world, now lost.  Taken by an unknown photographer. Heritage Paths Project
Scottish Rights of Way and Access Society
24 Annandale Street
T: 0131 558 1222

Join Us


Keyword Search






Path of the Month
The Steplar
The Steplar

Site Design & Hosting by
Digital Routes

© Heritage Paths




Cupar to Kennoway Road

Start location: Little Muirhead (NO 373 083)
End location: A914, by Tarvit Mill (NO 363 122)
Geographical area: Fife
Path Type: Medieval Road
Path distance: 5.1km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians

Back to Search

Route Description

A ScotWays sign "Public Path to Hill of Tarvit and Chance Inn" stands on the south side of the A914 at NO363122, from where a naturally-trodden grassy/earthy path leads gently uphill between bushes and trees, with fields on either side. After some 800m, this reaches the minor road known as ‘Sandy Brae’. A few steps along this road to the right/west, at a ScotWays waymarker disc on a wooden post, the path continues, still gently uphill, for a further 300m to arrive at Scotstarvit Tower and Farm, where there is a further ScotWays disc. The next section to the south is a tractor-track and leads past the farm and some cottages. Once past the buildings, the tractor-track, defined by walls/fences and with woods then fields adjacent, continues straightforwardly for a further kilometre down to Chance Inn. At the first houses, the surface becomes tarred and the route meets the public road at the right-angled bend at NO373103.

Once in Chance Inn the road continues along the main road for a short while and then proceeds through quite an intimidating fence. Nevertheless this route is a right of way and one of the house owners was very friendly to this surveyor. There is nothing left of the surface of the road beyond this point but it follows the field boundary through a small plantation and over a burn till Muirhead.

OS Landranger 59 (St Andrews, Kirkcaldy & Glenrothes)

Heritage Information

This was the main route north to Cupar from Kennoway and was probably used a lot by people taking the ferry from Lothian. It must have been very busy at one time, but is now almost guaranteed to be quieter than the top of any Munro. At Muirhead, this route meets the Waterless Road, the old road to St Andrews by way of Ceres. Unfortunately, although Muirhead apear to have been a key junction at one time, the onward route to Kennoway is not very accessible much further south from there.

It is a shame that the section south of Chance Inn is so quiet as there is a very nice little bridge that isn't marked on modern maps halfway down and there is also a very well constructed stile over the boundary wall slightly north of the bridge. As you're walking south you approach the remains of a very big wall, which must have been part of a substantial structure and on approach is the stile. It is odd that there is a stile on the approach to the large wall as horses and carts would not have been able to cross the wall and so perhaps this is part of a later diversion, by which time horses and carts would have used other roads to reach Cupar.

The road appears in many old maps including Taylor and Skinner's Survey and maps of the roads of North Britain or Scotland, 1776. The road is shown very clearly as part of the route from Edinburgh to Cupar by Kennoway.





Click here to view this path on a map


Image Gallery



Scotways logo

Scottish Natural Heritage

Heritage Lottery Fund

ScotGov logo

Leader logo

Europe logo