Old Railway Line, Aberfoyle
Start location: A821 Aberfoyle (NN 522 009)
End location: Station Road (B835), NW of Buchlyvie (NS 564 941)
Geographical area: Campsie Fells, Stirling, Clackmannan and Falkirk, Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park
Path Type: Railway Track
Path distance: 9km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians, Suitable for Bikes
Back to Search
The start is at the SE corner of the car parks adjacent to the Wool Centre, immediately south of the main street in Aberfoyle. An information board marks the start, with details about the railway line and about other aspects of local history and place names. This route is now part of a cycle route. The two stay together until an unclassified road is reached at Cobleland.
The route re-starts on the A81 at Gartmore and heads towards Carse of Shannochill. The original bridge over the River Forth has been removed, so for many years the route ended here. However a footbridge was installed in 2007 and now once again it is possible to travel this way to Buchlyvie.
OS Landranger 57 (Stirling & The Trossachs area)
The Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway opened for passengers and freight in 1882. Although Aberfoyle was the terminus station, a tramway including cable-operated planes continued to the Aberfoyle slate quarries. The importance of the slate industry to the survival of the line can be seen in that although the line closed to passengers in 1951, it did not close to freight until 1959, Aberfoyle quarries having closed in 1958. Additional information about the Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway can be found here: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=355.
Just before reaching the former site of Buchlyvie station, the Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway shares the trackbed of the former Forth & Clyde Junction Railway. More information about the latter railway, and specifically the section which ran between Buchlyvie and the former Port of Menteith station can be found here: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=310.