Revitalising Scotland's Historic Paths for the Future
Contact Details
The Paths
Campsie Fells
Learning Resources
Support Us

One of the oldest recreational signs in the world, now lost.  Taken by an unknown photographer. Heritage Paths Project
Scottish Rights of Way and Access Society
24 Annandale Street
T: 0131 558 1222

Join Us


Keyword Search






Path of the Month
The Steplar
The Steplar

Site Design & Hosting by
Digital Routes

© Heritage Paths




Old Kirkmichael Road

Start location: track off A924, just west of old Free Church at Easter Auchlatt (NN 952 592)
End location: A924, south west of SW of Dalnacarn (NN 998 627)
Geographical area: Perth, Kinross and Stirling (part)
Path Type: Rural Path
Path distance: 6.5km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians

Back to Search

Route Description

The route begins just west of a building faced with four metal crosses which seem to strengthen the wall, though it was once the Free Church. The path goes up a field boundary and burn followed by a second field before the ground becomes rough and heather covered, but the path follows a wall which continues up into a group of recently planted trees. The wall continues up through the trees in a wide corridor. The path which follows the wall is hardly used and is through fairly deep heather. The wall continues up and runs through a plantation and then on to open moorland where it is less visible. It once stretched almost as far as Dalnacarn, but it is quite boggy and hard to find. The forestry roads run across the path from the A924 road and if one is tired of long heather it would be easy to escape to the road.

OS Explorer 386 (Pitlochry & Loch Tummel)

Heritage Information

This old route from Moulin over the moor towards Kirkmichael was once the public road. There are a couple of interesting bridges, one intact, one only partially so, along the route. 

In about 1820, Telford introduced the new road, the modern A924, which took a different line between Easter Auchlatt and Dalnacarn. However, this older public road appeared on the Parish Council of Moulin's 1895 list of known rights of way. It is most clearly mapped on the OS 1st edition 6" mapping (1843-1882). Although it is only partly shown on the second edition (surveyed 1899), in John H Dixon's 1925 book Pitlochry Past And Present it is said that  "there should be no difficulty in following this road" and it is described as a delightful walk, so it was clearly still valued. The book also suggests that this old road is the best way to reach the part of the moor with the most numerous hut circles.




Click here to view this path on a map


Image Gallery



Scotways logo

Scottish Natural Heritage

Heritage Lottery Fund

ScotGov logo

Leader logo

Europe logo