Start location: Church, Glenprosen village (NO 327 657)
End location: B955, 0.5km south of Wester Eggie, Glen Clova (NO 338 719)
Geographical area: Angus and Tayside
Path Type: Rural Path
Path distance: 6km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians
Back to Search
Starting from the church in Glenprosen Village, head north-east by the east side of the Burn of Inchmill and over Drumwhern to descend to a Scottish Rights of Way Society signpost beside the B955 in Glen Clova near Wester Eggie.
There is an alternative end to this path, which may well be older and heads more directly towards Clova. It travels across the moorland entering the trees near Elf Hillock and ultimately reaches the B955 northwest of Coremacy Hill House.
OS Landranger 44 (Ballater & Glen Clova)
The Minister’s Path takes its name from the fact that the same minister officiated alternately in Clova and Prosen churches and this is the route he would regularly take - reputedly by pony and trap. The New Statistical Account (1840s) for Kirriemuir and for the united parish of Cortachy and Clova describe him as a missionary minister on the Royal Bounty. The Old Statistical Account (1791-99) refers to the minister for Kirriemuir officiating at Glenprosen's chapel two or three times a year, yet Clova's church saw worship performed by the minister of the church of Cortachy some nine miles distant. It thus appears that the use of the Minister's Road for this particular ecclesiastical purpose dates to the nineteenth century; it seems the shortcut over the hills was a practical solution to the problem of providing more frequent church services in these two adjacent Angus glens.
The local historical society occasionally re-enact the journey the Minister took, complete with pony and trap. However, although you are unlikely to encounter the local minister these days, Visit Scotland describes it as the best walk in the Glen Prosen area.